Friday 21 August 2009

APDT Assessment

On Saturday I had a practical assessment with the Association of Pet Dog Trainers (APDT).
I set off to Bradford around 12pm, my assessment started at 1.45pm. Along with the stress of having assessment it decided to leather it down and driving over the Pennines on the M62 was not much fun.
My assessment was in an equestrian centre, once I got there everyone was really nice and friendly, I met my class and their dogs and chatted with them for a bit.

The assessment!
I had my class plan and notes, loads of treats, clickers and some cones. I’d put a little note on the top of my sheet reminding myself to breath! I was really nervous.
I taught a down, leave and loose lead walking. All with clicker, as the dogs and owners had not used clickers before I had to do a quick crash course at the start. I then progressed each of the exercises.
After the practical assessment I had a 15 minute break before the oral assessment which took 45 minutes. After that I had another brew and set off back home. They told me that it can take up to 2 weeks for me to receive the results.

I’ve been staring at my email account ever since lol waiting for that email!!!!

Yesterday I was just printing off stuff for training class wondering how I was going to survive through the weekend without knowing and the email popped into my inbox……….

I Passed!!

The feedback said that they would Highly Recommend me for membership, so my application form is in the post!!! I was so pleased and relieved. The waiting was driving me insane.

The APDT is the biggest dog training organisation in the UK and has a strict Code of Ethics regarding the use of positive methods only. Their assessments are very thorough and members must have demonstrated not only that they use positive methods, they truly believe in them and also have excellent training and teaching skills.
This means that people looking for a dog trainer know they are going to get a skilled dog trainer and their dog is not going to come to any harm.

Of all the things I have achieved in studying dogs and training, this to me is my biggest personal achievement.

I’m really proud to be able to become a member

2 comments:

  1. What a year 2009 has been for you Jane! You're on a roll! Well Done!

    ReplyDelete